Tuesday, August 6, 2013

You Only Live Once - Live Big


Famous Quotes about love, life, happiness






















I have been pondering life a lot lately. I do this every so often - actually quite a bit recently!  And, this came to mind after I heard someone on TV say "YOLO" - then I figured out that it meant "You Only Live Once." I did some research on the internet and found that this is one of the latest excuses used by teenagers when they do something stupid. This is according to Urban Dictionary, which describes the term as:

"The dumbass's excuse for something stupid that they did
Also one of the most annoying abbreviations ever....
Guy 1: "Hey I heard u got that girl pregnant"
Dumbass 1: " Ya man but hey YOLO"
Guy 1: "Hey I heard that you broke ur leg falling off the balcony at that party"
Dumbass 1: "Ya but hey YOLO"
 
This is disappointing to me because it puts a negative connotation on what could be a great way to live - not by doing stupid things and then saying YOLO, but by following your dreams and doing what your heart desires.
 
Lately I have been feeling stuck and I am not sure why. I keep thinking about things that I want to do, goals that I want to accomplish, but not taking the steps to do the things that I want to do.  I have a vision book that I did in 2008. I can't believe its been five years since I did that book -  its time to do another one. While writing this I decided to take a look at my book and see if I have accomplished any of my 101 goals (A strategy in the book The Power of Focus.) And, imagine that I did manage to accomplish quite a few of the things in my vision book!
  1. I got my personal training certification.
  2. I exercise 4-5 times a week on average most of the time.
  3. I meditate regularly now.
  4. I ran a 10K - actually it was the Mud Run at Camp Pendelton.
  5. I learned to ballroom dance.
  6. I developed my spirituality - read a lot of books and attended a lot of seminars. This is still a work in progress.
  7. I have a big garden with a lot of vegetables and fruit trees. And, I love it!
  8. I took a writing class.
  9. I went to Turkey.
  10. I went to Greece.
  11. I swam with dolphins.
  12. I went to Niagra Falls.
  13. I went to the Ellen Show.
  14. I tried out for a game show. On my list it said I would be on a game show. I almost made this one.
  15. I flew first class.
  16. I got my holistic health coaching certification. On my list I said I would be a counselor - in a way I am to my clients.
  17. I will be teaching at a four year university starting in October. On my list I said that I would teach at a four year university.
And, many more of my goals are in the works. Interesting! I just noticed that for some reason I put a big picture of a turtle in my book and never wrote anything about it, and guess what  - last summer in Maui I swam right next to one! Hmmmmm......
 
Hey, I think this following your dreams stuff might just work. The funny thing about many of the things that I accomplished that were on my vision board is that they just happened - I was in New York for my step-daughter Stacy's graduation and then the next thing you know we are at Niagra Falls.  My husband gave me dancing lessons for my birthday present one year. My friend Julie helped make two of these come true when she called and invited me to go to the Ellen Show and to try out for the game show with her team.
 
I am going to work on my vision board and  my positive YOLO's for the next five years. I'm thinking this might just help be feel less "stuck"!  What are your positive YOLO's?
 


As you grow older, you'll find the only things you regret are the things you didn't do. ~Zachary Scott

"Carpe Diem! Seize the day. Make your lives extraordinary."   --Dead Poet's Society


No comments:

Post a Comment