Friday, June 28, 2013

What should I plan to eat?

How much should you eat?

 

 
This is a diagram that I got from Precision Nutrition showing ideal portions. They have some variation depending on your size and body type, but this is great to start. What should my meal look like? When planning your meals keep this diagram in mind. Try to eat a palm size portion of protein, along with a cupped handful on healthy carbs, a fist of vegetables, and a thumb size portion of fat. 

Ideas for Lunch:

Your lunch could be a salad with lettuce, chicken, other veggies like cucumber, tomato, onion, carrot, etc., and avocado for your healthy fat, and some quinoa for your dense carbs (or maybe a few whole wheat crackers), dressed with an olive oil and vinegar dressing or a Tablespoon of Ranch or other creamy dressing. As I mentioned before, I plan my meals on the weekends. For my lunches I try to buy salad fixings like lettuce, cucumber, carrots, peppers, broccoli, avocado, etc, with some some protein like chicken or tuna. And, I like ranch dressing, so I will usually use that, but I do measure it and only use a Tablespoon or so. Sometimes I add a 1/4 cup of garbanzo beans or a Tablespoon of feta cheese, again measure those too! On the run I will sometimes get a subway sandwich with turkey and lots of veggies and avocado (I know Subway isn't the best, but it sure is a lot better than the other fast food alternatives out there. Just make sure you get a turkey or chicken sandwich on whole wheat without all the sauces and stuff and a load up on veggies.) Sometimes I have salmon, with brown rice and veggies. Again, here portion control is key! Or a couple of hard boiled eggs, some carrots, with hummus, and a few whole wheat crackers.
 
Some of my go to lunches:
 
  • Salad with chicken or tuna with lots of veggies
  • Subway Sandwich on whole wheat bread
  • Whole wheat turkey sandwich on a sandwich thin with lots of veggies and some fruit
  • Salmon, with brown rice and veggies
 
Ideas for Dinner:
 
I like to cook (lucky for my husband or maybe not, since I am always trying new healthy recipes on him.), so I cook most nights. Tonight it is Taco Salad - lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, avocado, taco seasoned lean ground turkey, and a little shredded light cheese. Yummy! He puts some nacho chips in his too! But, for my purposes, I'll skip that.
 
Some of my go to dinners:
 
  • Roasted chicken with root veggies
  • Spaghetti squash with marina sauce with pesto chicken
  • Turkey Chili
  • Salmon with spinach, brown rice and a little feta
  • Chicken with quinoa and asparagus
 
I usually write out all of my planned dinner menus and check to see if I need any of the ingredients before my weekend shopping. And, I make sure I have all of the ingredients for my go to breakfasts, snacks, and lunches on hand. Then I'll make my list and it's off to Trader Joe's, and then if they don't have everything I need, a trip to Sprouts or Vons to pick up the rest. I like to buy organic as much as I can. I also try to buy things with the least amount of ingredients possible, and without ingredients that I don't know what they are. I will post some recipes along our journey for you to try.  This is a photo of the Salmon, with sautéed spinach, brown rice with a little feta. Yummy!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment