Thursday, July 18, 2013

Summertime Fun - Harvest Time!

I love summertime because that means it is garden time!! I love waking up in the morning, making my cup of coffee or tea, and going out to my garden to see what has grown and what's ready to harvest. This year I have already harvested probably a at least a hundred peaches (which I used to make peach pies), some nectarines, a couple of apricots (my tree didn't do too good this year), a couple of dozen or so big zucchinis (which I used to make some somewhat healthy zucchini bread), some onions (there are a lot more of those still in the garden),  a dozen or so cucumbers (used mostly for juicing), a bunch of potatoes, and dozens of tomatoes (there are dozens more of those still in the garden). And, I still have to harvest the spaghetti squash, more onions, bell peppers, eggplant, more zucchini, and yellow squash, and green beans and more.

My harvest from today. Potatoes (red, russet, and white), tomatoes (green zebra, Roma and cherry) and zucchini.
Today I picked some potatoes (russet, red and white) and some tomatoes (cherry, Roma, green zebra and orange) and a big zucchini, and then whipped up a free range egg scramble with the white potatoes, Roma tomatoes, and a some onion (also from my garden) for breakfast. Yummo! Tonight I will make stuffed zucchini for dinner. Recipe to follow. It is easy to eat healthy, especially when you have a garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment