Thursday, May 2, 2013

Are you afraid of releasing weight? How can you conquer that fear?

Yesterday I wrote about my bad habits being partially responsible for my lack of progress. But, could there be another reason why I am still on my journey and have not released the weight completely? Could it also be that I am afraid of what my life will be like when I reach my goal weight? I pondered on this and thought that perhaps that could be an issue for many trying to release weight, or trying to do anything different in their lives. I know that I am afraid of releasing the weight, and I am not exactly sure what I am afraid of. But, I don't believe it really matters what someone is afraid of  because it is all a lie.

Are you afraid of releasing weight? You'll know if when your weight starts to go down, your anxiety starts to go up. You'll know if you get to a certain weight and start letting things slide. "Oh, I have lost ten pounds; I deserve a piece of pizza or piece of cake (or two, or three)." You'll know if when people start commenting on how good you look, it throws you into a panic.

Maybe your are afraid of being too attractive, and people paying more attention to you, or maybe you are afraid of having to buy new clothes, or maybe you are afraid the weight loss will change your relationships. These are all lies. Lies that that voice in your head, I call it "the little drunk monkey," says to keep you from your truth - the truth of who you are - your authentic self.

Once someone said to me, "you are not supposed to be this way." I wondered what he meant by that and actually took offence. Now I understand what he meant. He meant that I am not the overweight person that I look like. I am not being my true authentic self, which is a fit, vibrant and healthy woman. And, you too are at fit and healthy person. You see this "little drunk monkey" tell us lies about ourselves, about the future, about other people, and about life. After thinking about this yesterday, I understood that all the things that voice in my head says are only meant to keep me from becoming my authentic self.

I'm sure you have all had "the voice" tell you that you aren't smart enough, you can't do that, you are too fat, you aren't good enough, you are too skinny, you are too old, he or she doesn't like you, it won't work out - the list goes on and on. These are all lies.

So, now we know we have nothing to fear about releasing weight or changing something in our life, and we know that our fear is just "the drunk monkey" telling us things that are NOT true. What next? How do we not listen to "the voice"? I think it all goes back to being present in the moment - being aware and mindful when "the voice" says something negative that it is a lie. Observing what "the voice" has to say, and letting it go is the key. Easier said than done, you say. I think that it does take some practice. Some of you may not have even noticed that "the voice" is telling you these things yet. You will when you slow down and listen. Then the next step is to listen, and to it pass through your thoughts. Let it go - because it is a lie. I believe that meditation helps one slow down and listen, and to observe rather than be a part of what "the little drunk monkey" has to say.

So, my advice to myself and to you is to meditate. I know I said that yesterday, but I am saying it again. Try it. You might enjoy it, and you might just let go of your fear of releasing weight.


No comments:

Post a Comment