Monday, May 6, 2013

Is Planning Beneficial in Releasing Weight? I think it is key!

I think planning is most definitely a must when trying to release weight. I know that when I don't plan I am much more likely to make a bad choice, like ordering Scampi with Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo Sauce (I confess I did this just the other night! Argh!) instead of a healthier Mediterranean Chicken with Roasted Peppers and Couscous disch while out to dinner, or never getting to the gym. When I make a plan I stick to it (most of the time), when I don't all bets are off. Who knows what could happen!!  I might make a good choice and I might not. When I don't plan, I have a hard time not being tempted and a hard time making healthier choices (this probably goes back to the habits discussion).

What can you do to start planning and succeeding in your weight loss plan?

Plan your Eating
First of all, I would suggest planning your weekly meals on the weekend. That way you will have time to shop for the needed ingredients, and look at the week ahead. If you have a lunch to attend - look at the menu of the restaurant online before going. That way you won't be tempted to get the special instead of the healthy choice on the menu.  Usually I write my menu out for the week on Sundays. I don't have too much trouble eating a healthy breakfast so I just write a list of healthy breakfast choices and then I pick from the list. I make sure I always have eggs, lots of veggies and fruit, feta cheese, almond milk, protein powder, oatmeal, frozen fruit, etc. on hand. So, I can whip up an omelet, or protein shake in a flash, or oatmeal with fruit and a hardboiled egg.  For me lunch proves to be the hardest meal to eat healthy if I don't plan. Now I make a menu for lunch each week, specific to each day of the week, incorporating lunches out. Usually my lunches consist of some sort of salad with lots of veggies and a protein, maybe even a 6 inch turkey subway sandwich if I know I won't have too much time to prepare my lunch. Dinner is the easiest during the week for me because I usually cook a healthy dinner, but if I don't plan I will end up getting takeout instead. So, plan, plan, plan and then stick to your eating plan menu.
Plan your Moving
Plan your exercise, as well. Don't just say I will go to the gym four times this week. Plan exactly when you will go and mark it in your calendar. And, then just do it. Treat it like an appointment with your most important client. You are after all your most important client, right? Pick different exercises so you won't get bored. Maybe try a new class at the gym. Look at the class schedule online and then make an appointment with yourself to go.

Plan your Believing
This might sound strange, but you need to plan your time to believe in the new you. Set aside some time to - I'm going to say it again - Meditate. I do it first thing when I get up in the morning. I use the restroom (got to do that first thing in the morning!) let Cleopatra out so she can use the restroom, start the coffee and then meditate before I do anything else. I have a timer on my iPad and I set it and just do it!  Another good thing to do at this time is visualize your new healthier self, the way you will feel, the way you will look, what others will say to you, what you will be able to do. Take a few minutes at the beginning of your mediation to visualize the new you!

These are my suggestions to myself  and to you and for using planning to reach our weight release goals! Happy Planning!

No comments:

Post a Comment