Wednesday, May 22, 2013

What good is knowledge without action? Why did I eat that Oreo?


I saw this graphic today, and thought that it was a great topic for my blog because I am the queen of knowledge about food, diet, exercise, etc., and I hate to admit that I don't always do what I know.

For example, I know what to eat. But, do I eat healthy all the time? No. I started to ponder this, and wondered why it is with all my knowledge I don't eat healthy all the time. I know what all the chemicals and bad ingredients, and sugar and gluten can do to a person's health. I know the ravages and disease that eating poorly can cause.

So, why did I eat that Oreo? - I don't even like Oreos. This is a funny story - well sort of. I bought about seven different types of Oreo products for a teaching demonstration I was doing for a job interview. Yes. A job interview for another adjunct professor position. YAY! That's another story. Anyway, I bought these Oreos to describe what a product line is - basically it is all of the products under one brand name - in this case the Oreo brand name. Did you know that there are 96 different types of Oreo products? That's a blog post of its own! I thought having the actual products - mint Oreos, mini Oreos, Oreo ice cream sandwiches, etc. to show during my teaching demonstration would make the concept easier to understand. And, it did. They loved it! I tried to leave the Oreos with the Dean who interviewed me, but he said I should keep them and use them in my class. So, I kept them. They sat on my credenza in my office for about three days, until one day while I was stressing about something I ate one mint Oreo, then another, then another, and another until I had eaten about six of the little buggers. I closed up the package and went back to work. Then later that night. I saw the package again and ate another six or so of the little devils. And, the next morning I had three. What was wrong with me?

Now in looking back at what happened, I believe that the best solution for eating clean and healthy is to not let the unhealthy foods into your life. Just like unhealthy relationships. (I did eventually throw out the whole lot of Oreos, but not before I had devoured a few more.) So, having the knowledge isn't all there is to the equation. The action part of the equation is to not allow the unhealthy foods in your life. Yes. You will be tempted at parties and when you go out to dinner to make an unhealthy choice, but that's where planning comes in. But, why would you allow the crappy death producing foods into your home. For the most part I don't allow them into my home. I buy healthy foods like chicken, fish, lots of vegetables and fruits, and healthy grains like oatmeal, brown rice and quinoa. I try to limit processed foods of any kind, and if I do by anything processed I read the label and look for something that has less than five ingredients or at least something where I know what all the ingredients are in the product. Or at least that is what I try to do.

So, throw out all the processed crappy food in your house NOW. Yes. I know you spent money on it, but at what cost for the future. It will cost you more in the future if you eat it now. So, get rid of all the "Oreos" and other crap in your pantry, and don't replace it.

I know sometimes we all want something sweet, but don't eat those crappy processed, non-food sweets. I will be posting some recipes for some healthy sweet treats soon.

Happy pantry purging!

No comments:

Post a Comment