Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Enjoy Your Vacation without Gaining a Pound

I'm leaving on Friday to go to my step-daughter's graduation. And, I want to make sure I make healthy choices while I am on vacation. I don't want to use this time for a free for all - something I have done way too many times in the past! But, on the other hand I don't want to miss out on a fantastic local dish or meal. So, I came up with these tips for myself that might help you too.

· Pack some healthy snacks for the plane ride.

· Indulge in local delicacies in moderation. Split your meal with someone or only eat half of your scrumptious local meal.

· Have a healthy breakfast every morning, even if you are eating out. It is possible to get oatmeal with fruit, or a healthy omelet at most restaurants. Don't opt for the Eggs Benedict (This suggestion is for me! haha) just because you are on vacation.

· Take some snacks with you - some almonds, an apple or  Lara Bars - something portable just in case you get famished on your journey. You don't want to be heading to the snack bar at the airport or the first fast food restaurant you see because you need to eat now!

· If you have a dessert, split it with someone.

· If you have a cocktail, make sure it is something light like a light beer or a white wine. Stay away from sugary, umbrella-adorned cocktails like Margaritas, etc. Drink a glass of water between cocktails.

· Be as active as you can - go on a bike ride, walk around the city and take in the sights - to burn off those extra calories you might consume.

· Check out the local market when you arrive and buy some healthy snacks for your hotel room so you don't raid the mini bar.

· Don't be afraid to ask the waiter if they have any healthy choices on the menu. Many restaurants offer a healthy selection or two.

· Drink plenty of water. Lots and lots of water. Buy some bottled water at the local market when you arrive, so you can carry them with you on your travels.

With these tips - I plan to keep on track on my vacation. And, not gain a pound! And, you can too! Bon Voyage!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment